According to the Spanish National Institute of Statistics, life expectancy increased by 1.1 years between 2007 and 2013. Sociodemographic change and long life expectancy in Europe have meant that healthcare is focusing on new horizons. The electrical and communications industry have facilitated the creation of batteries, microcomputers, new polymers and plastics, which mean that prosthetics and orthoprosthetics have become lighter, more resistant and look more real. In the area of robotics and electronics, it has been possible to develop improved prosthetics through control and adaptation systems until the point where they can create prosthetics controlled through muscular stimulation.
This degree will allow you to specialise as an engineer in the field of dental prosthetics and/or orthoprosthetics. Depending on the specialisation you choose, from second year onwards you will use knowledge of dentistry or medicine and physiotherapy in combination with engineering-specific technical and scientific skills, in order to fit dental prosthetics or orthotics in patients and offer them full or almost full integration into society or guarantee them a better physical or aesthetic look.
Who is it intended for? Prospective students
If you have a desire to help society in the field of health sciences, this could be the profession for you. Becoming an engineer via this degree and learning about the latest technology will ensure you can manage to design and manufacture prosthetics and orthotics (depending on the specialisation you choose) for patients who need it. This will allow them to become more integrated into society and ensure they can obtain a physical or aesthetic improvement.
Anyone who fulfils the admission criteria and general prerequisites for access to the degree programme is eligible to apply. You must be able to prove that you have a vocational attitude towards science, techniques and healthcare in which the following skills stand out:
- Organisational skills, a good memory and motivation
- Good decision-making skills
- Psychological qualities and empathy
- Emotional balance
- An interest in research
- Responsibility and a strong work ethic
- Observation skills
- Good at teamwork
- An interest in helping people and the community
- Manual skills
Objectives, competences and outgoing students
- You will learn to be a professional in the field of dental prosthetics and orthoprosthetics for the locomotor system during a bachelor’s degree that is oriented towards professional specialisation and an introduction to research.
- You will acquire the conceptual, manual and technical tools that are necessary to design and create dental prosthetics and orthotics.
- You will form part of a multidisciplinary team involved in the rehabilitation of the masticatory system, physical medicine and rehabilitation.
- You will learn how to create and manage a Dental Prosthetics Laboratory or an Orthopaedic consultancy from handling the necessary administrative and healthcare documentation to managing products, buying material and managing the human resources.
- You will learn how to design and create all type of prosthetic and orthoprosthetic devices and support products adapted to the characteristics of each patient according to the medical prescription.
- You will learn about and acquire skills to use machinery, equipment and material in the field of Dental Prosthetics and Orthoprosthetics, as well as set up maintenance programmes for medical equipment.
- You will learn how to check over dental prosthetic devices, orthoprostheses and support products to detect failures and identify corrective measures.
- In the field of orthoprosthetics you will learn how to efficiently inform users and their family members or carers at a technical level, as well as other healthcare professionals about how to correctly use and maintain orthoprosthesic devices. You will also learn how to support them psychologically.
- You will collect, analyse and apply research results from the field of Dental Prosthetics and Orthoprosthetics in order to increase knowledge and practice in the area of engineering.
Bachelor's Degree in Bioengineering for Dental Prostheses and Orthopaedic Techniques for the Locomotor System